Weapons Registration

NTC Form 655 Weapons Registration

Policy Letter #3 (POW Guidance for New Arrivals )

Privately Owned Weapons Guidance for New Arrivals

      If residing on post, turn POW’s over to your unit for storage in the arms room, immediately upon arrival. POW’s will not be stored at the Landmark Inn, barracks, BEQ/BOQ or Geo-Bachelor Quarters.  Unassigned personnel and personnel assigned to a unit without an arms room will turn POW’s over to their MSC designated Arms Storage Facility.  Personnel authorized housing may store POW’s in their quarters after signing for their quarters and upon approval of their Commander.  Firearms will be secured in a locked container or with a trigger lock and ammunition secured separately from the firearm in a locked container.  Gun locks are available at the DES (Bldg. 334) on a limited basis. 

POW’s will be registered during initial in-processing but not later than 3 working days of their arrival on post.  Complete NTC Form 655 (Registration of Privately-Owned Weapons) and forward it to the Police Desk at building 326.  Your Unit Commander/Director will determine eligibility for possession/ownership and location of storage.  NTC Regulation 190-1 (Retention, Possession, Storage and Use of Non-Government Owned Weapons and Ammunition) and NTC Form 655 are available at http://www.irwin.army.mil/Pages/Newcomers%20Tab/WeaponsRegistration.   

Firearms maybe brought onto Fort Irwin for hunting, target practice and recreational use, however, must be registered first.  Hunters must possess a valid hunting permit, comply with applicable laws and notify Range Control.  When transporting, secure POW’s in the trunk compartment.  For vehicles without a trunk, encase firearms in a locked container, other than the glove compartment, so as not to be readily available to the driver or passenger(s).  The route to the destination will be the most direct route. No stops are authorized.  Firearms in transit will be unloaded and accompanied by a completed NTC Form 655.  The carrying of a concealed weapon on the installation, with or without a carry permit, is prohibited.  Folded knives with blades shorter than 3 inches are excluded. 
The following weapons are authorized and need not be registered on Fort Irwin: bows and arrows; compressed air-powered rifles and handguns; trophy weapons that have been rendered permanently inoperative; knives, swords, sabers, or military blades devices that are mounted or otherwise used for decorations/display; and slingshots.  The following weapons/accessories are prohibited and will not be brought onto the installation:  silencers; incendiary devices and explosives; military training ammunition blank or otherwise, armor piercing ammunition, and ammunition for weapons of greater than .60-caliber that fires fixed ammunition (other than a shotgun); crossbows, nun-chucks, throwing stars/discs, blackjacks/saps, and swords. Throwing stars/discs and nun-chucks may be stored in the unit arms room, providing the owner can satisfactorily prove to the organization commander that he or she is involved in martial arts training, and is actively progressing in the various levels of training.
California Firearm Restrictions and Requirements.  Any person who moves into California with a firearm is considered a "Personal Firearm Importer" and is required by California law to do one of the following within 60 days: 1. Complete and submit a New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership (BOF 4010A), pdf with $19.00 to the California Department of Justice, Bureau of Firearms; 2. Sell or transfer the firearm to or using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction; or 3. Sell or transfer the firearm to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the firearm to the agency. 
Any person transporting handguns into California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.  It is generally unlawful to bring assault weapons into California.  Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater than 10 rounds may not be transported into California.  Additional information including the most recent edition of the California Firearms Laws Summary can be found at: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms.